Saturday, August 12, 2006

Cast Iron Pans

I am a firm believer in using cast iron to do everyday cooking. This may sound silly to some but I think it is the best cooking tool. Here are my reasons why I love cast iron so much:
1. You can fry and bake with a cast iron pan - I often paritally cook my meal on the stove and then put it in the oven for more cooking.
2. A cast iron pan is very inexspensive - Usually for about $10- $20 Walmart.
3. It will last a very long time- my mom has had hers for about 30 years.
4. The get better with age.
5. You can scrub it hard but most of the time you don't need to.
6. Once it is nicely seasoned you don't need to use much oil.
7. I was told that the iron is actually good for your body.
8. If there is a burglar in your house you can use it to hit him over the head :o)- haven't needed it for that, thank God.

So if you don't already have a cast iron pan maybe you should get one. Or if you have one sitting in your cupboard, maybe you should try using it. Check your local Walmart, Kmart or Target.

No comments: