Friday, September 08, 2006

6 reasons why you should not build a web site from a free host

Ok, I am not a fan of free web hosts. Many people out there get their start web building with a free host, like from bravenet, lycos, etc. But I am here to say, "don't do it". I will try to give you good reason. This statement does depend a bit on what the site is for but my general rule is, stay away from them.
Here are the 10 reasons why:

1. Ungly pops-ups, top of the page ads, and other ads are distracting and don't look professional. If your site is not for the purpose of anyone else to see buy yourself then I guess this reason wouldn't really matter.
2. These sites are usually very limited. You can't edit very much, and the amount of memory they give you is very little.
3. The long domains : http://www.freesite.thissite.thatsite.com/mysite is not very practical. Yes, you can buy your own domain to fix this.
4. You can only usually only get one email address with free accounts. This may not be problem for some but it is something to be aware of.
5. Not many extras, like ad free bulletin boards, blog software, etc. Free sites usually don't offer many extras and if they do they have ads all over them.
6. I am going to mention this one again: Ungly ads! They don't look good.

My web host is Hostgator.com and I can get a tone of tools, memory and bandwith for only $9.95 a month. Some may not want to jump from free to $9.95 a month but it will probably be the only jump you will need to make for a long, long time.
Visit my review on this web host to find out more info:
http://reviewsbloggy.blogspot.com/2006/09/hostgatorcom.html

1 comment:

zapcouponcode.com said...

I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.